The Strength for Life program aims to improve health outcomes, fitness and quality of life for older people through strength and balance training.
The program is available to everyone aged 50 or older and 40 or older for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders.
The program has been running successfully for many years in other states and territories under the Strength for Life and Living Longer Living Stronger banners. Funding from the Australian Government’s Move It AUS – Better Ageing Grant Program has enabled us to expand the program under a unified national brand.
The program offers two tiers:
- Tier 1 is delivered by accredited exercise physiologists and physiotherapists who work with people with chronic conditions. Baseline and follow up testing is conducted to develop and monitor an individualised program for each participant.
- Under Tier 2, progressive strength training sessions are delivered in a group setting by accredited fitness professionals. Although the sessions are delivered in groups, individualised strength training programs are developed for each participant.
Affordable access to strength training
The program is designed to provide affordable access to strength training. Fees are capped to keep costs low and participants may also be able to access rebates through their health fund or Medicare.
When will it be available in my area?
The program is being rolled out in Tasmania over the coming months.
Below is an indicative time frame for the introduction of Strength for Life. Please note that some of these dates are estimates and may change.
Provider and instructor information sessions
Attend one of our information sessions to find out more about the program, including how to gain accreditation and start delivering Strength for Life sessions.
Our information sessions are free to attend. To view upcoming information sessions and register to attend, simply complete our online registration form.
Upcoming information sessions
- Hobart: Tuesday 29 October 2019.
Time: 10:00am to 11:00am.
Venue: Criterion House, Nell Pascoe Room, Mathers Lane, Hobart, Tasmania.
Instructor accreditation courses
- Hobart: Saturday 23 and Sunday 24 November 2019.
Venue: Friends Health & Fitness, 7 Wilson Street, North Hobart, Tasmania.
For further information, including the course registration form, see our Instructors page.
Strength for Life sessions commence for participants
- It is anticipated that Tier 1 and Tier 2 Strength for Life sessions will commence from January/February 2020.
Interested in participating?
Further details, including enrolment forms will be available shortly. In the interim, please fill out the expression of interest form below and we’ll keep you posted on the roll out of Strength for Life.